Board of Directors Job Description
The mission of the St. Tammany Art Association is to provide quality programming and cultural enrichment to the community, support established artists, promote emerging artists, produce educational arts activities and in doing so enhance life in St. Tammany Parish.
The Board supports the work of the St. Tammany Art Association and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While the day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director and staff, appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Board member duties include:
- Providing leadership and advisement.
- Being informed of governance best practices and legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Development and oversight of governance and operational policies and procedures.
- Financial management and leadership, including approving and monitoring the annual budget, financial reports, and other related information.
- Engagement in strategic planning, program monitoring, and evaluation of results.
- Assist in identifying and recruiting board members, officers and committee members.
- Represent the STAA to stakeholders acting as ambassadors throughout the community.
- Ensure that STAA has adequate resources by engaging in fund development, including identifying prospects, soliciting support and actively participating in fundraising events.
Length of Term: Each term is 3 years, with members limited to 2 consecutive terms. Terms for officers are 1 year, with officers limited to 2 consecutive terms in the same office.
Meeting and Time Commitment:
- The Board of Directors meets monthly on the first Tuesday evening. Meetings typically last 90 minutes.
- Each Board member is expected to serve on at least one committee. Committees meet an average of 5 times per year, depending the work plans for the year.
- The Board meets annually for a planning retreat, outside of regular board meeting.
- Board members are expected to attend events held throughout the year.
Board Member Expectations:
- Understand and be committed to the mission.
- Attend and participate in scheduled board and committee meetings and special meetings and events.
- Participate on a minimum of one committee and provide expertise and input where appropriate.
- Participate in fund development and fundraising activities
- Be a member in good standing and annually support STAA with a financial contribution in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
- Act as an ambassador for STAA and help communicate and promote STAA mission and programs to potential donors, volunteers and the community in general.